Saturday, November 10, 2012

New Tools for Old Tricks: Webinars, Lavender, SMS systems, and websites...

Some days I love working from home - other days I hate it. Today: Sick kid + foggy and cold + lots of coding requiring peace and quiet + need for online research + helpful farm worker using scrap wood from a torn down old garage to extend a barn and needing occasional direction = a good working from home kinda day.

I write a lot about different things: Our lavender farm, my master gardening, technology, lesson and course materials, etc, but I'm thinking I should have a central blog, about the stuff that tickles my fancy but doesn't fit anywhere else. If nothing else, it will help me remember what I've been doing!

So today's ramblings, in no particular order or importance:
1. Webinars. They save a heck of a lot of time in airplanes and let you access experts without having to leave the comfort of your fuzzy slippers! Earlier in the week was a great herbal medicine webinar on fertility (featuring the results from this program http://www.foresight-preconception.org.uk/); yesterday I attended a webinar on legal issues in employment (exempt? non exempt?); and today I'm attending one on winter natural remedies for kids with Aviva Romm, and more tomorrow. I may need a webinar 12 step program! We love doing webinars at ACHS but find some are easier than others for students, prospective students, alumni, and faculty to use. And some are cheaper with more features than others! So to help rank them, I put together a list that you can vote on your favorites!

Webinar Tools
View more lists from Erika Yigzaw

2. SIS, LMS, CMS... ?
I'm looking at new options available in the marketplace. A colleague recommended Populi and it does look interesting - Ive signed up for a demo and will keep you posted.

3. Lavender
I did warn you I have eclectic interests, right? I grow lavender at Sherwood Lavender Farm, and as a Master Gardener get lots of questions on it so I've put together another list of my favorite resources here:


At the very least be sure to review some of the full text journal paper on lavender in pubmed here.

4. I'm also working on the achs.edu website, in particular landing pages plugging in some more useful and specifically relevant information, including videos from our youtube channel and working some more on the video editing style guide I created yesterday with my team. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment